A Year Without Mirrors, the story of Kjerstin Gruys who decided in 2011 to live one year without mirrors. She blogged her way through the process, talking about how life without a reflection changed the way she looked at her body image. And all of this during the process of planning a wedding!
Inspired by Kjerstin, I began looking at my own life and wondering what things were influencing me, the way I saw myself and the way I enjoyed my life. While I know I don't have the discipline to live without something for a whole year, I began putting together a list of things I wanted to try to live without for a week, two or a month at a time. Things like television, cell phone, internet, meat, soda, mirrors, and even negativity.
But pulling out the bad things didn't seem like it would be enough. I wanted to add in good to my life. So not only will I experience A Year Without, I'll experience A Year With by adding in things to my life like a sunlight, meditation, walking, writing, sex, and saying thank you. All a week, two or a month in bulk.
A full year of examining the positive and negative things in life, and blogging through the process. In September I'm starting off with a bang by fasting out my biggest addictions: TV, Cell Phone, Internet, Speaking and Negativity. Each project will last a full week and then I'll blog the results.
One Week Without
- TV (Sept 1st-7th)
- Cell Phone (Sept 8th-14th)
- Internet (Sept 15-21st)
- Speaking (Sept 22nd-28th)
- Negativity (Sept 29th-Oct 5th)
- Meat (Feb 2nd-8th)
- Cursing (Feb 9th-15th)
One Month Without
- Mirrors (Mar 16th-Apr 12th)
- Soda (Dec 22nd-Jan 18th)
- Eating Out (Nov 24th-Dec 21st)
- Self Deprecation (Feb 16th-Mar 15th)
One Week With
- 100 Thank Yous (Oct 6th-12th)
- Sex Every Day (Jan 26th-Feb 1st)
- A Schedule (Jan 19th-25th)
- 30 Minutes of Daily Sunlight (Oct 13th-19th)
- 30 Minutes of Daily Meditation (Oct 20th-26th)
- Being Artistic
One Month With
- Daily Walking (Apr 13th-May 10th)
- Daily Writing (Oct 27th-Nov 23rd)
Unfortunately, my list isn't complete and currently only adds up to 39 weeks of the 52 I need to fill. So please help me out and offer suggestions below in the comments.